Wednesday, August 4, 2010

August 4th: Conner Prairie

 


After getting our pictures taken at Butler, we headed up to the Castleton area to meet my niece's mother so that we could take my 6 year old niece Ashleigh with us. I hadn't seen Ashleigh for about 20 months so I was really excited to get to spend some time with her and so was Ian. He LOVES his cousin!

We had looked up online and got a list of Blue Star Museums. These museums have allowed active duty military families free admission since Memorial Day and will conclude the program on Labor Day. There were several in the Indianapolis area and we decided that Conner Prairie was a must. I think it was possibly the hottest, most humid day of the year and it was still worth going. Conner Prairie is a living history museum that preserves the William Conner home. There are several re-enactments and demonstrations on site and there is a discovery center where the kids had fun with hands on crafts, etc. The kids made paper, performed a puppet show, and made a wagon wheel as well as dressed up in period clothes. Outside they were shown how to make a doll from reeds, actually got to milk a real cow and pet newly hatched baby ducks and chicks. We also toured the settlement and talked to the employees who were all in character. We found out that it cost 12 cents per night for a spot on the bed and were allowed to choose our spot. We saw how native americans made homes, went to the trading post and then escaped back to present day to enjoy ice cream. It really is a great experience and we were thrilled that as a military family that we were "treated" to free admission. Ian and Ashleigh ate it up and Aaron had a pretty good time, too!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! I would love to see what you are doing on your blog so make sure I can find you with either a link or having your blog linked to your name. I have a couple of giveaways planned so be sure to follow! :)